What is Public Health? – Public health is made up of the government and non-profit systems working in concert to study, prevent, and respond to both communicable diseases and lifestyle-related health threats in order to promote wellness and protect communities. It can include everything from local campaigns to address drug abuse in rural U.S. communities to global pandemic responses.
Working in public health could take you around the globe to address the most pressing issues in the developing world, or could just as likely have you working in the same community you grew up in. It’s a field where all types of backgrounds and experiences are valued and where the education you receive today could position you to do the exact kind of work you want to do in the communities that mean the most to you.<!- mfunc feat_school ->
At the end of the day, public health is all about people helping people, and Careersinpublichealth.net aims to do exactly that.
This comprehensive resource is designed to help you map out your career in community and global health and make informed choices about your education options.
Raymond L. Goldsteen, DrPH, Director, MPH at University of North Dakota
Raymond L. Goldsteen, DrPH, Director, MPH at University of North Dakota, joins us today to discuss public health education. #1 Can you tell us about the public health…
- A doctorate of public health degree can help any person to continue and advance in their public health career in a more thorough and efficient way, and this type of graduate degree can also open many …
- A public health attorney works in laws and policies that deal with legal concerns policies and laws that are supposed to prevent health problems from occurring and promote good health across entire …
- A survey conducted by the University of Michigan to gather information about the education level and demographics of public health nurses (defined as Registered Nurses working for public health …
- By selecting a career in public health, you will have a wide range of exciting, specialized options that will give you the chance to affect public health in many ways. No matter if you choose to work …
- If you want to complete a Master in Public Policy (MPP) degree, then you must be interested in getting into the heart of policy development. We live in times that are challenging both environmentally …
- The Master in Public Health (MPH) and Master in Healthcare Administration (MHA) appear to be very similar degrees. But while they do share certain subjects, they are actually different degrees. The …
<!- mfunc feat_school ->
Public Health Careers
While health improvement, health protection and health service quality improvement are the watchwords of the field and the three defined domains of public health practice, those are the sort of abstract terms that don’t mean a lot till you see them in action. There are dozens of unique and well-defined roles involved in the actual work it takes to make communities safer and healthier places for people to live and work.
Working in public health means being part of something bigger than yourself – from boots-on-the-ground community outreach workers bringing basic healthcare services to underserved communities… to survey workers collecting the epidemiological data used to better understand and deal with communicable and behavior related diseases… to public health advocates in the halls of congress leading grassroots efforts for adequate community health funding… to the program directors that then stretch every last one of those dollars to make the biggest impact possible.<!- mfunc search_btn -> <!- /mfunc search_btn ->
Every public health initiative, education campaign and direct outreach program relies on a team of specialists working in unique roles. You just need to decide which one of those roles will make the best use of your talents and experiences.
YouTube Special Feature
Public Health is Your Health. “This Is Public Health” is a campaign the Association of Schools of Public Health (ASPH) launched to help people better understand how the field works to improve the health of individuals and communities through education and service. Join this national effort to promote public health awareness in your community.
By choosing a career in public health, you could have the opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of people in your community, and around the world.
Public Health Degree Programs
- How to Choose the Best MPH Degree?
- Top 25 Online MPH Degree Master’s Programs
- Top 5 Undergraduate Public Health Programs
- Top 5 Online Health Sciences Degree Programs
- Top 5 Global Public Health Degree Programs
- Top 10 DrPH Public Health Programs
- Top 50 Public Health Schools
- Top 5 MBA MPH Joint Degree Programs
- Top 5 Biostatistics Degree Programs
- Top 5 Public Policy Degree Programs
- Top 5 Online Colleges Best for Public Health
- Top 5 Public Health Nutrition Programs
- Top 5 Infectious Disease Degree Programs
- Top 5 MSW MPH Joint Degree Programs
- Best MPH Epidemiology Degree Programs