Welcome to Careersinpublichealth.net, a comprehensive informational guide to public health careers in the United States. The information displayed on this site is freely available to users outside the country as well. On this website, you will find all of the information you need to make a decision about a career in public health:
- All types of public health jobs
- College and university programs
- Salary and job growth information
- Informative public health videos
- Much more
Unlike many other public health websites, CareersinPublichealth.net is not in any way affiliated with any university or public health program. This means that this website is truly unbiased as it provides you with vital information to make your public health career and education choices.
We hope that you find this public health website useful in your decision to work in public health.
Raymond L. Goldsteen, DrPH, Director, MPH at University of North Dakota, joins us today to discuss public health education. #1 Can you tell us about the public health…
- Kickstarter is the king of crowdfunding, but it’s not a good fit for most research projects. Kickstarter is geared toward creative projects, and scientific research doesn’t fit neatly …
- A Master of Public Health (MPH) is a great degree to complete but it is targeted quite specifically at working professionals and, for this reason, it is now often offered online, enabling students to …
- If you want to complete a Master in Public Policy (MPP) degree, then you must be interested in getting into the heart of policy development. We live in times that are challenging both environmentally …
- Healthcare administration can be a great career option to consider if you’re one of the many people who like the idea of working within the medical field, but would rather stay away from a …
- In most circumstances, those who choose to pursue a master’s degree in healthcare informatics will have a skill set in both healthcare and computers. Specialists in health informatics are …
- Nursing can be a very physically and emotionally demanding job, so it takes a caring and empathetic person with a strong sense of self and a good moral compass to succeed in this career track. …
Why Choose Public Health?
The field of public health is very much worth your consideration as a career choice. Public health is a very exciting, growing field in the United States that offers many options and financial rewards.
Public health allows you to help society grapple with the most complex health issues: how to improve healthcare access, control diseases and to eliminate environmental hazards.
For example, the CDC reports that efforts in public health have led to major improvements in health and life expectancy. Did you know that the life expectancy in the US was just 47 in 1900, and had increased to 77 in 2000? Some of the reasons for this include these public health achievements:
Vaccines: In recent years, vaccines for pneumococcal infections have been developed, cutting thousands of deaths in the last five years.
Preventions and control of infectious diseases: largely due to major improvements in state and public health infrastructure. This has led to a 30% reduction in US tuberculosis cases
Maternal and infant health: The last 10 years has seen major reductions in birth defects, largely due to folic acid fortification of cereals.
Public Health Careers
Public health offers many career options. It does not matter if you want to do research, crunch numbers, work with people or help the environment, you will find a career path in this field.
In this career field, you will find that you may work in many places. You could work in either the public or private sector. Many graduates in public health often end up working in local, state and federal government, particularly for public health departments.
YouTube Special Feature
Public Health is Your Health. Most people don’t understand what public health is or how it impacts their daily lives. The “This Is Public Health” campaign was designed by Association of Schools of Public Health (ASPH) to let people know that public health affects them on a daily basis and that we are only as healthy as the world we live in. Join this national effort to promote public health awareness in your community.
By choosing a career in public health, you will be able to make a big difference in the lives of people around the country and world, and also will be able to enjoy an exciting and financially rewarding career.
Public Health Degree Programs
- How to Choose the Best MPH Degree?
- Top 25 Online MPH Degree Master’s Programs
- Top 5 Undergraduate Public Health Programs
- Top 5 Online Health Sciences Degree Programs
- Top 5 Global Public Health Degree Programs
- Top 10 DrPH Public Health Programs
- Top 50 Public Health Schools
- Top 5 MBA MPH Joint Degree Programs
- Top 5 Biostatistics Degree Programs
- Top 5 Public Policy Degree Programs
- Top 5 Online Colleges Best for Public Health
- Top 5 Public Health Nutrition Programs
- Top 5 Infectious Disease Degree Programs
- Top 5 MSW MPH Joint Degree Programs
- Best MPH Epidemiology Degree Programs