What is Public Health? – Public health is made up of the government and non-profit systems working in concert to study, prevent, and respond to both communicable diseases and lifestyle-related health threats in order to promote wellness and protect communities. It can include everything from local campaigns to address drug abuse in rural U.S. communities to global pandemic responses.
Working in public health could take you around the globe to address the most pressing issues in the developing world, or could just as likely have you working in the same community you grew up in. It’s a field where all types of backgrounds and experiences are valued and where the education you receive today could position you to do the exact kind of work you want to do in the communities that mean the most to you.
At the end of the day, public health is all about people helping people, and Careersinpublichealth.net aims to do exactly that.
This comprehensive resource is designed to help you map out your career in community and global health and make informed choices about your education options.
Raymond L. Goldsteen, DrPH, Director, MPH at University of North Dakota, joins us today to discuss public health education. #1 Can you tell us about the public health…
- A public health physician is concerned not just with getting an individual patient better. He or she wants to improve the health of the entire community, and to try to prevent people from getting …
- MBA MPH joint degree programs allow students to achieve their master of business administration as well as their master of public health degrees in a joint course track that allows them to obtain …
- The Master in Public Health (MPH) and the Master in Health Care Administration (MHA) are two degrees that, on the surface, seem similar. In reality, however, there are some significant differences …
- If you have completed a degree in an area such as politics, you may have already studied towards public policy in some way. For those who haven’t, however, public policy is the area of …
- There are so many master’s degrees to choose from if your interests lie in healthcare. One degree is the Master in Public Health (MPH), but you could also opt to advance your nursing career and …
- Many individuals who opt for a qualification in public health do so in order to increase their job prospects. While this might be very helpful, this is not the only way that someone can find a better …
Public Health Careers
While health improvement, health protection and health service quality improvement are the watchwords of the field and the three defined domains of public health practice, those are the sort of abstract terms that don’t mean a lot till you see them in action. There are dozens of unique and well-defined roles involved in the actual work it takes to make communities safer and healthier places for people to live and work.
Working in public health means being part of something bigger than yourself – from boots-on-the-ground community outreach workers bringing basic healthcare services to underserved communities… to survey workers collecting the epidemiological data used to better understand and deal with communicable and behavior related diseases… to public health advocates in the halls of congress leading grassroots efforts for adequate community health funding… to the program directors that then stretch every last one of those dollars to make the biggest impact possible.
Every public health initiative, education campaign and direct outreach program relies on a team of specialists working in unique roles. You just need to decide which one of those roles will make the best use of your talents and experiences.
YouTube Special Feature
Public Health is Your Health. “This Is Public Health” is a campaign the Association of Schools of Public Health (ASPH) launched to help people better understand how the field works to improve the health of individuals and communities through education and service. Join this national effort to promote public health awareness in your community.
By choosing a career in public health, you could have the opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of people in your community, and around the world.
Public Health Degree Programs
- How to Choose the Best MPH Degree?
- Top 25 Online MPH Degree Master’s Programs
- Top 5 Undergraduate Public Health Programs
- Top 5 Online Health Sciences Degree Programs
- Top 5 Global Public Health Degree Programs
- Top 10 DrPH Public Health Programs
- Top 50 Public Health Schools
- Top 5 MBA MPH Joint Degree Programs
- Top 5 Biostatistics Degree Programs
- Top 5 Public Policy Degree Programs
- Top 5 Online Colleges Best for Public Health
- Top 5 Public Health Nutrition Programs
- Top 5 Infectious Disease Degree Programs
- Top 5 MSW MPH Joint Degree Programs
- Best MPH Epidemiology Degree Programs